At BRX Performance in Milwaukee, we have several elite baseball trainers on staff for the benefit of our clients. We are fortunate to have one of the premier pitcher development programs in the region. Should you choose to work with us, you may see significant increases in velocity. For high school and college-age pitchers looking to make it to the next level, velocity remains a critical piece of scout’s analysis. That said, being able to throw a fastball 90 miles per hour isn’t everything. Keep reading as we dive into the five traits of a successful pitcher.
- Athleticism – The best pitchers in the game have the ability to consistently repeat their delivery and then make mechanical adjustments when needed. Such an ability is required at all levels. As you may know, a pitcher’s mechanics consist of delivery point, stride length, hip rotation, balance points, and angles in the legs, hips, shoulders, and arms. Athleticism falls into all of this. If a pitcher throws with poor mechanics, it makes fine tuning their delivery next to possible. Not to mention, lack of athleticism only leads to injury down the road.
- Work ethic – Baseball is, by far, the most humbling sport out there. You can have the most talent in the world and not even sniff the next level because you never worked hard. For pitchers, work ethic is crucial. Now, this doesn’t mean throwing fastballs over and over in the hope that your velocity magically increases. In order to become the best pitcher you can be, the right plan must be in place. At BRX, our programs are all about improving flexibility, agility, and power. When our clients truly put in the work with their individualized strength programs, the results speak for themselves.
- Intelligence – At a young age, pitchers who throw hard tend to blow hitters away without an issue. But that doesn’t remain the case when hitters mature. Remember that the key to getting outs is keeping the batter off balance. If you don’t already have one, make it a point to develop some sort of off-speed pitch.
- Mental toughness – Any pitcher would love to strike out every hitter. But that’s next to impossible. Once a batter has your timing, it’s your responsibility to change speeds and location in order to throw off that timing and get outs. There are cases, though, when everything seems to go against you on the mound. Whether you give up the game-winning home run or couldn’t get through the first inning, it’s important to have mental toughness. Don’t forget that this is a sport where failure is inevitable at every position.
- Health – The majority of injuries to young pitchers stem from improper care. In order to be successful, pitchers must pay attention to their bodies. This doesn’t mean just stretching before a start and calling it a day. Pitchers who fend off injuries work hard by maintaining a throwing/exercise program and staying true to mechanics.
Elite Athlete Training
In terms of baseball training and softball training, the coaches at BRX Performance are top-notch. We help our clients with the following:
- Endurance training
- Functional training
- Agility training
- Speed training
- And more
Unlike other facilities in the area, our staff knows how to bridge the gap between the weight room and the demands of overhead athletes. If you’re ready to take the next step as a pitcher, get in touch with us today.
Looking To Take Your Game To The Next Level?
Are you struggling to increase your throwing velocity, exit velocity, or running speed? Don't worry; you're not alone. That's why we have developed BDS, Baseball Development Secrets. The Baseball Development Secrets System (BDS) is a baseball-specific strength training program specifically designed to increase throwing velocity, exit velocity, and running speed. The best part is you can get access to our program for 7 days free of charge! If you're serious about your baseball development, Baseball Developments Secrets could be that answer for you as it has been for hundreds of other baseball players. Start your FREE trial today!